Prepaid cards do not receive a liability shift.
Mastercard 4837: No Cardholder Authorization
A liability shift applies, which prevents issuers from opening chargebacks with reason code 4837 for transactions properly authenticated and identified through 3DS.
The liability shift applies to the following ECI values:
- ECI 01: Attempted
- ECI 02: Authenticated
The Mastercard fraud chargeback liability shift does not apply if the ECI is 00.
Visa 10.4: Other Fraud – Card-Absent Environment
The liability shift applies to the following ECI values (provided that the transaction does not meet any of the criteria for exclusions listed in the table below):
- ECI 05: Authenticated
- ECI 06: Attempted
The Visa fraud chargeback liability shift provided with 3DS does not apply under the following conditions:
|Global||07||Liability shift does not apply|
|Global||Any||An Electronic Commerce Transaction in which the Issuer responded to an Authentication Request with either:|
- Unable-to-Authenticate Response
- Authentication Denial
|Global||05 or 06||Merchants will receive a CAVV for authenticated and attempted authentication transactions which they must provide in the authorization message. For ECI 05 or ECI 06 transactions where a CAVV was not received in authorization, the ECI will be reclassified to ECI 07.|
|Global||Non-Reloadable Prepaid||06||Non-reloadable Visa prepaid cards are not required to participate in the Visa Secure program, but issuers may elect to participate.|
In terms of liability:
• Authentication—If a non-reloadable Visa prepaid card is authenticated during Visa Secure program (ECI 05), the merchant is protected against specific Dispute reason codes.
• Attempted Authentication—If authentication is attempted on a non-reloadable Visa prepaid card (ECI 06), the merchant does not receive liability protection on e-commerce fraud-related Disputes. ECI is reclassified to 07.
|Global||Visa Fraud Monitoring Program||05 or 06||Merchants are not protected if they have been identified in the program.|
|U.S.||Visa 3-D Secure Fraud Monitoring Program||05 or 06||Merchants are not protected if they have been identified in the program.|
|U.S||Merchant Restricted Merchant Category Codes (MCCs)||05 or 06||Merchants are not protected if their MCC is one of the following:|
• MCC 4829—Wire Transfer/Money Order
• MCC 5967—Direct Marketing-Inbound
• MCC 6051—Non-Financial Institution-Foreign Currency, Money Order (not Wire Transfer), Travelers’ Cheques
• MCC 7995—Betting, including Lottery Tickets, Casino Gaming Chips, Off-Track Betting and Wagers at Race Tracks
• MCC 6540 - Non-Financial Institutions: Stored Value Card Purchase / Load
• MCC 7801 - Government Licensed On-Line Casinos (On-Line Gambling)
• MCC 7802 - Government-Licensed Horse/Dog Racing
Updated 9 days ago